Tips for Those Unable to Seek Professional Help

So, I don’t know if I have mentioned this yet on my blog, but I am in college and I started this blog because of a class. And honestly? I should’ve done it sooner. This blog has been an incredible relief for me and a place to get my thoughts out on a public platform.

That being said, I have to write a short essay for this class. Below is the essay and I hope that you will read it. I think it contains good information for those who are looking for some.

This is an essay about tips for people who cannot receive therapy for depression and it is interesting because I feel like it can help others who are struggling.

First and in my opinion, most important is self-care. Self-care is taking the time away from things that are stressful in your life to recover your mental well-being. Everyone’s version of self-care is a little different. What works for one person may not work for another. But the most important things to remember is that you need to do it even if you think you don’t have the time.
I had to take time for self-care yesterday.

 I am, at the moment, so terrified of graduating that it is affecting even the smallest things I try to do. I had to write an article for my college’s newspaper and I could barely concentrate. Writing is normally something I excel at, so naturally, I was upset I couldn’t sit and write a simple 500-word story. With my deadline ticking in the background, I forced myself to stop and take a nap. Emily from a few years ago would have been screaming at me for being out of my mind.

“You have an f-ing deadline you stupid bitch! You can’t sleep now!”

This is the exact attitude that would eventually cause me to lose my mind at the end of every semester. The “sleep when I’m dead” attitude did not help me. Instead, taking the time to take care of myself, allowed me to finish the article in about 45 minutes vs. struggling to write it for several hours.

Now, will taking a nap help everyone? No, but something else might. Maybe a jog outside, a video game break or a warm bath.

Just do what you need to do to recover. Don’t stress about how you could use that time for something “more important.” You and your mental stability are incredibly important. Never forget that.

Second is research. Knowing what you are dealing with is incredibly helpful. Information can win wars, why would a real war be any different than the one inside your head?

When you arm yourself with information, you are setting yourself up for success. 

For me, I knew I had a history of mental help problems in my family. I knew some symptoms to be on the lookout for. However, the internet has a plethora of information you can feast upon to beef yourself up for dealing with the things you struggle with.

Third, talk to someone about how you’re feeling.

“Wait,” you might be wondering, “I thought this about if you couldn’t speak to a therapist?” This is, but never doubt that talking to someone can help. Maybe they know someone who can connect you to a professional or at the very least, they can be a shoulder to lean on when the days get hard.

Talking about what you’re going through, even if it’s just with a trusted friend will help you feel better.

Bottling it up will only make the situation worse. I would know, when you can’t take it anymore and you finally burst, it’s fire and brimstone and tears and pain and it is not worth trying to shoulder the burden all by yourself.

While all these things can help maintain your mental stability, they can never replace speaking to a professional. There are resources available for cheap and sometimes free.

There are online therapists waiting to talk to you. Suicide hotlines are free and are a good outlet when you’re looking for someone to talk to. If you’re in college, there may even be a free clinic on campus you can visit.

Please never forget, you are not alone. There are others struggling right along with you and you often times can reach out to them for advice or just a simple shoulder to cry on. You are loved, you are important. Never forget that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Thoughts are Keeping me Restless

My Thoughts Continue to Taunt Me

About Two Seconds Away (Trigger Warning for Thought of Suicide, Self-Harm, Self-Loathing)